Monday, August 29, 2011

Movin' on Up!

I'm tired.  But, I just have to share this!  At work today I got an email from our social worker.  We're sixth in line to get in the adoption profile book!

Just last week I was able to have lunch with a dear, dear friend.  I was telling her that I was disappointed to find out we were 15th in line to get in the book.  But, we've waited this long, what's a little longer.  I figured it would take us 6 or more months to get in the book.  I could call our social worker to see where we were at, but I didn't think it was really necessary to know.  We'd get a call when we were #5, #4, #3, #2, and #1.  It was great to hear my friend's voice on the phone with me today when we celebrated our good news.   I'm thankful for the many thoughtful and supportive people that have been on this journey with us. 

It turns out, it's fun to know where you are on the list when you are only 6 families away from getting into the book.  Six beautiful adoptions.  Six families having their dreams come true.  Then, we'll get in the book!  And, I realize that it's just another step--we won't instantly get a match.  But, we will have a chance at a match. 

What does it mean when we go in "the book"?  Our profile (along with 59 other families) will be in 7 books in Lutheran Social Services offices around the state for expecting mothers and fathers to view.  If they like what they see, they could have a meeting with us.  A CHANCE.

So, I better get cruising on our profile.  But, for now, I plan to go to bed. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I know there can be a wait, but in our third adoption, we were expecting to wait a year or two since we thought who would pick us...we already had two kids. Just two weeks after being in the book--TWO WEEKS--we got a call for a match meeting and the baby was already born! The beautiful momma chose to parent and secretly we were kind of relieved--it happened so quick and our kids were so close in age we thought it would be a chaotic mess. UMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm--4 weeks later, we got a call on a Tuesday and had a match meeting scheduled for Thursday. Then on Wed., it was canceled cause she went into labor early. Then, we met her and baby in hospital on Thursday and on Friday we got a call asking when we could come pick our baby girl up. So, adoption is NEVER predictable. Sometimes not being prepared is better too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you prepared for running support group meetings for us by phone?? What a rollercoaster ride that must've been! I am predicting the unpredictable for us, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete