Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Dealing with PCOS

Some of you may know that I was diagnosed with PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) after my first round of IVF.  I thought my RE (Reproductive Endocinologist) was off his rocker.  I learned from the women in my RESOLVE support group that women with PCOS commonly have major weight gain when going off the pill, struggle with obesity, have acne, male patterned baldness and facial hair.  Not really me.

But, I also had a friend dealing with PCOS that talked to me about insulin resistance a while ago.  She, too, didn't have external symptoms.  (And she has the cutest little baby now!)

My RE showed me some ratios based on my blood work that helped support his diagnosis.  And, when I produced eggs on the low doses of meds he prescribed, I PRODUCED eggs, a crazy amount of eggs, seriously like 25.  Yes, I know, that's crazy!  Most of them died within days.  Lots of poor quality eggs (hard to believe if you have ever met Griffin!). 

After the diagnosis I had an ultrasound of my ovaries near the town I live in (my RE is 2 hours away).  I mentioned to the ultrasound tech that I was diagnosed with PCOS.  She told me I didn't look like I had PCOS.  Then she looked at my ovaries, sure enough, I looked like I had PCOS.

For my second round of IVF I was put on metformin--it's prescribed for pre-diabetic and diabetic people and has been known to help achieve pregnancy.  And, we got pregnant!  Then I miscarried our sweet baby boy at 14 weeks. 

I noticed I felt better on the medication.  Less dizzy.  Less hungry.  I got pregnant again...naturally....except for the metformin that helped control my blood sugar.  But, I miscarried AGAIN (#4). 

Since we aren't trying to get pregnant anymore, I thought I'd go off the pills.  I reduced my dosage and started taking my glucose levels.  They were high, like pre-diabetic high.  Ugh.  I exercise.  I eat pretty healthy.  I'm a decent weight.

So, off to the doctor I went.  I'll be staying on the meds for the long haul--unless I can somehow manage to control my blood sugar better naturally.  He advised me to count my calories and focus on a diabetic diet.  And, he told me to buy a heart rate monitor and work on improving the quality of my workouts.  I'm hoping to lose the 10 pounds that seemed to come along with the IVF medications and never went away.

I got my lab work back today, I'm good as long as I'm on the medication.  So, that's where I'll be.  The 35 year-old-gal doing what I can to avoid full blown diabetes. 

What does blood sugar have to do with getting and staying pregnant?  I think a lot.

1 comment:

  1. I've been taking Metformin since 2005 for my PCOS, too. :( Whatever it takes, I guess.

    ReplyDelete